Saturday 17 September 2011

Hiroshi Sugimoto



Hiroshi Sugimoto. Time Exposed. Photographs by Hiroshi Sugimoto. Text by Thomas Kellein.  
(Thames and Hudson, New York, 1995)


One night I had an idea while I was at the movies: to photograph the film itself. I tried to imagine photographing an entire feature film with my camera. I could already picture the projection screen making itself visible as a white rectangle. In my imagination, this would appear as a glowing, white rectangle; it would come forward from the projection surface and illuminate the entire theater. This idea struck me as being very interesting, mysterious, and even religious. (p.91)



Union City Drive-in, Union City, 1993


Hiroshi Sugimoto «Theaters» | Cinerama Dome, Hollywood, 1993
Cinerama Dome, Hollywood, 1993
Orinda Theater, Orinda, 1992
Hiroshi Sugimoto «Theaters» | La Paloma, Encinitas, 1993
La Paloma, Encinitas, 1993





Hiroshi Sugimoto «Theaters» | Paramount, Oakland, 1994
Paramount, Oakland, 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment